The architect Borja Ferrater presents his conference "Landscape, Systems, Materiality & Light" on Tuesday, March 20 at 18h in our premises.
The conference will consist of an overview of a selection of projects carried out by the Office of Architecture in Barcelona (OAB), founded by Carlos and Borja Ferrater. The selection will include architectural interventions, landscaping, urban ... everywhere in the world, especially in the city of Barcelona and more recently in the city center of the city of Beirut.
The work of the OAB office is characterized mainly by the simplicity and clarity of the gestures as well as the generosity towards the city. His work effectively combines nature and geometry, without renouncing functionality, to make the office an important reference in contemporary architecture (Carlos Ferrater was awarded in 2009 by the National Prize for Architecture).
Borja is licensed architect, from the International University of Catalonia (UIC), 2005.In 2010 he got his Masters degree in Biodigital Architecture. He obtained his doctortal tesis in April 2017.
Between April 2008 and September 2011 Borja was Vice-Dean of Culture Publications and International Relations at the School of Architecture, ESARQ, UIC being also director of school workshops and lectures annual program.He was Visiting Assistant Professor during the 2011 spring semester in Pratt Institute, New York. He has recently been Richard W. Trott Distiguished Visiting Professor in Knowtlon School of Architecture at Ohio State University. He has been teaching 3rd year Studio class at ESARQ UIC uninterruptedly since 2006.
He is author of the book “Synchronizing Geometry” published by ACTAR, which has been exhibited in several cities in Europe and America.
Founding Partner Architect of OAB (Office of Architecture in Barcelona) together with Xavier Marti, Carlos & Lucia Ferrater in January 2006. www.ferrater.com
He is a FAD (Spain’s national award) prize winner in the category of “ephemeral architecture” together with Carlos Ferrater for the exhibition in Madrid: “M.C. Escher El arte de lo impossible”. Winner of Wallpaper* Design Awards 2010 for the building: Roca Barcelona Gallery together with Carlos and Lucía Ferrater. Roca Barcelona Gallery has also been finalist of the Lamp awards 2010 in the category of Interior lightning, and has received a special citation at 2010 IALD International Lighting Design Awards , Las Vegas, NV USA, May 2010. Recently, In may 2011 Borja also won the “Good Design is Good Business” awards organized by Architectural Record magazine with the RBG building. Also, his work has been selected in the category 21 for 21 (for young architects) in WAN awards 2014. Recently Borja was awarded with the international ENR magazine 2017 Best Global Project in the category of hospitality and Residential, with the project Kaplankaya Phase I Resort in Bodrum, Turkey.
He has given lectures, participated in round tables and jury of prizes in Sweden, Norway, Germany, USA, UAE, Israel, UK, Japan, China, Malaysia, Turkey, Italy, Luxembourg, Romania, and Spain. He has also had articles published about many of his works in multiple magazines, catalogues, and other publications.
Together with OAB, he has leaded and completed several projects among which are:
- Competition for the Spanish Pavilion at the Zaragoza International Exhibit 2008 (2nd Prize)
- Exhibition in Madrid of the artist “MC ESCHER” (December 2006 – April 2007). 300.000 visitors.
- Engineering School and University Campus in Barcelona 2006 (competition).
- “The Edge”, Competition for office and residential buildings in Dubai. 2007. (Intl. Restricted competition)
- FC Barcelona Stadium. 2008. (International Restricted competition 2nd prize)
- 30.000 sq ft. private family residence in New Delhi, India.
- International fair center and train station in Luxembourg. 2010. (Intel. Restricted competition 3nd prize)
- Museum and reception pavilions for an archaeological settlement in Atapuerca, Spain. 2008
- Roca Barcelona Gallery. 2.500sqm. 2009
- Exhibition on the Artist M.C. Escher at the Alhambra in Granada, Spain. 2011
- 3.500 sqm community building in Bodrum, Turkey. 2013
- Mixed use 15 floors building in Miami’s Design District, 300.000 sqft in Miami, Florida, USA. 2014
- Residential luxury development and spa resort hotel project of 600.000 sqft in Bodrum, Turkey. 2016
- Single Family House 600sqm, in Barcelona 2016
- Museum of Modern Art in Almaty, Kazakhstan. 10.000 sqm (in progress)
- Almaty Botanical Garden 103 Ha. With several research and administrative buildings (in progress)
- 70.000sqft Luxury Hotel in Ibiza, Spain (In progress)
- 2 single family houses in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia in progress (under construction)
- 2 single family houses in Ibiza, Spain (in progress)
- Restaruant for HErmanos Torres 2* Michellin cooks in Barcelona (under construction)
- Luxury 5*, 100 room boutique hotel in Dubai, UAE (under construction)